info-mtools

Re: [mtools] mformat boot sector bug with mtools 3.9.10

From: Dave Parsons
Subject: Re: [mtools] mformat boot sector bug with mtools 3.9.10
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:38:24 +0200 (CES)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:52:25 -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:

> What do you mean?  I tell mtools to format the partition and use fat.bin
> as the template boot sector with the command:
>
> mformat -t 58 -h 64 -s 32 -B fat.bin c:
>
> Normally it works fine but for some reason when I modified that
> particular fat.bin to contain the data I posted before, it gets clobbered.

I was referring to the way in which different operating systems
handle the ends of text lines.
DOS based ones, or it may go back to CP/M, use CR LF i.e. 0d 0a.
Other systems use just 0a or 0d and some don't use a EOL marker
at all. Also on most systems you can open a file in binary or
text mode where these EOL markers are interpreted differently
and even changed.
So, to summarize, you have to be very careful when handling
binary data or you could change the file without noticing it,
which, from your last statement, I suspect is what happened.

Glad it's ok now.

Cheers,
Dave