info-mtools

Help needed

From: Don Williams
Subject: Help needed
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:10:32 -0700

Hi-

I'm wondering whether anyone out there has a compiled version of mdir and mcopy which will read NTFS file systems?

I have SCO UNIX Open Server 5.0.6 on the second partition of my (now) Win XP first drive.  When I upgraded to Windows XP I went whole hog and converted from FAT32 to NTFS on all drives and partitions.  Dumb, and it's not an easily reversible process.  Shame on me for not thinking ahead on that issue.

The old versions of these utilities, built for Linux, ran just fine on UNIX but they don't recognize the file system.  UNIX sees it as OS2 when I am running fdisk under UNIX to change the boot partition.

I can, at least, boot into Windows without running fdisk by entering:

bootos 4

at the boot: prompt.  Just as a matter of interest, the Windows multi-boot program ONLY accepts other Microsoft products in it's script.  Funny thing about that.

My problem is a little urgent in that I have to pick up some rather large files from another UNIX system, move them to a Windows partition, and send them to a distant site using an Internet utility.  With any luck I should be able to collect the files some time this week, but moving them from UNIX to Windows presents a little problem, because even after being compressed (using the UNIX zip program) they are still larger than what I can move on a floppy diskette.  I hope to avoid having to pass the information through a connection to my Laptop and then moving that data to the main PC.

An alternative, I guess, would be to find a CD burner software for UNIX which will handle my HP CD-Writer Plus, 9210i.  That CD and my read-only CD can both be mounted from UNIX, but I can only read files, not write them.

Sincerely,

Don Williams

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Why Me?"

Then a voice answers, "Nothing Personal. Your name
just happened to come up."

                                     Charlie Brown