info-gnus-english

Re: Keeping Gnus in sync on two machines

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Keeping Gnus in sync on two machines
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 17:40:29 +0530

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> I also save .newsrc but your list is the similar to mine otherwise,
> and I sync across 8 devices.

I think your use-case is pretty good stress-test. Thanks for encouraging
me.

> However one difference might be that I keep no machine-local storage
> of mail/articles. You said you use IMAP and I do the same but
> everything resides on the server.

My ~/Mail directory is from the time when I experimented with nnml and
mail-sources (POP3).

Oh! BTW, I still use nnml for local cron jobs. Any idea, how these are
going to be sync’ed? I guess, if I am careful with the up-sync/down-sync
things then it will be ok; as you have mentioned below.

> I've had no problems at all which is pretty amazing considering the
> number and types of devices I keep in sync using rsync and a cloud
> service (costing about $18 a year and well worth it). The big caveats
> are to only use one device at a time, and to remember to sync! I
> almost always remember to up-sync but sometimes I get impatient and
> forget to down-sync.

Any specific options to rsync that might add to the comfort? Or is it
just okay to ‘rsync <src> <dest>’?

--
Regards,
Pankaj Jangid