info-gnus-english

Re: Keeping Gnus in sync on two machines

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Re: Keeping Gnus in sync on two machines
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 21:36:08 -1000

Aloha,

I also save .newsrc but your list is the similar to mine otherwise,
and I sync across 8 devices.

For my own use case since I use msmtp I sync the .msmtprc config file,
and similar for other tools.

However one difference might be that I keep no machine-local storage
of mail/articles. You said you use IMAP and I do the same but
everything resides on the server.
I've had no problems at all which is pretty amazing considering the
number and types of devices I keep in sync using rsync and a cloud
service (costing about $18 a year and well worth it). The big caveats
are to only use one device at a time, and to remember to sync! I
almost always remember to up-sync but sometimes I get impatient and
forget to down-sync.

I am careful, with rsync, to use the backup option. I have yet to lose
any information despite doing a few bone-headed things.

Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i