[igraph] largest independent vertex sets

From: yux1991
Subject: [igraph] largest independent vertex sets
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 09:43:59 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to find out a largest independent vertex set for a graph that represents a randomly generated crystal lattice, then I came across igraph. My program is written with Python. I managed to get a list of the largest independent vertex sets using the largest_independent_vertex_sets() method of the Graph class. However, that’s not quite what I want. All I need is just a single largest independent vertex set, instead of a list of all possibilities. There are thousands of vertices in my graph, therefore it takes a very long time to calculate the complete list. I know it is a NP-complete problem, but I think generating just one such set instead of generating the complete list and then taking one from it would cut down the runtime significantly. I looked at the source code written in C but was kind of getting lost there. I am not sure whether this can be easily done by modifying the source code. Could anybody help me with this issue?

Best regards,

Yu Xiang

PhD Candidate

Dept. of Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Jonsson-Rowland Science Center 2W19

Email: address@hidden

Phone: (518) 833-4710