Re: [igraph] Graph-level weighted degree, betweeeness, closeness?

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Graph-level weighted degree, betweeeness, closeness?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 10:23:45 +0100

However, is the weight edge attribute of the graph automatically detected when calculating the graph-level versions of these three metrics?

I guess not because the output seems to be blissfully ignorant of weights:

> g <- make_ring(10)
> centr_betw(g)
$res
 [1] 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8

$centralization
[1] 0

$theoretical_max
[1] 324
> E(g)$weight <- c(100, rep(1, 9))
> centr_betw(g)
$res
 [1] 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8

$centralization
[1] 0

$theoretical_max
[1] 324

I think the reason is that the graph-level cenrality metrics require the "theoretical maximum" of the centrality score across all possible connected networks with the same node count, and this is not well-defined for weighted graphs (because we don't know what we shall do with the weight -- shall we consider all possible permutations of the original weight set, or shall we consider weights uniformly distributed within a certain bounded or unbounded range?). If you can come up with or show us a formal definition of the centralization (i.e. graph-level centrality) score for weighted graphs, maybe we can come up with a solution using igraph.