Re: [igraph] motifs

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] motifs
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:31:49 +0200

Hi!

I haven't read the papers once again, but in my opinion a disconnected
motif doesn't really make sense. Consider a disconnected motif that
consists of a fully connected triangle and an additional isolated
vertex, and then take a graph that contains one triangle and one
million isolated vertices. Does that really mean that this "motif"
appears one million times in the graph? Is that a significant finding?
If I added an additional one million totally unrelated vertices to the
graph, does that make the motif appear twice as frequently?

Anyway, if you want to search for disconnected patterns in a graph,
you can still use count_subgaph_isomorphisms() with method="lad" and
induced=TRUE; see:

http://igraph.org/r/doc/count_subgraph_isomorphisms.html

It will be much slower, though -- searching for connected motifs is
much easier if the average degree of a vertex is low.

T.