Re: [igraph] search on a network in igraph // first time user

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] search on a network in igraph // first time user
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 11:39:06 +0200

> 1. How do I import an external network file in mitab (example) format
> into iGraph.
I have no idea how a mitab file looks like, but chances are that
you'll have to convert it into a format supported by igraph first, and
then use read_graph() in R or Graph.Read() in Python.

> 2. Next, I want to search this network for specific proteins and zoom
> into the network which shows the search hits and nearest 1-2 degree
> neighbours and plot them.
igraph is primarily a library for the _analysis_ of networks and not a
plotting / discovery tool. You might have more luck with using
Cytoscape or Gephi if you are primarily interested in plotting and
browsing. Cytoscape might even support the mitab format natively
because it is specifically tailored towards bioinformatics
applications.

All the best,