Re: [igraph] Slow community detection

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Slow community detection
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 22:33:32 +0100

Hi,

Analysing a graph of a few million vertices and edges should not be a
problem for igraph, although not all methods are suited for this. The
"fast greedy" method and the Louvain method (also known as
"multilevel" in igraph) probably works fine. InfoMap and walktrap
might probably take a bit more time. However, note that none of these
methods (except InfoMap) were explicitly designed for directed graphs,
so the result might or might not make sense in the end.

For reference, the "fast greedy" method ran to completion using
igraph's Python interface in less than two minutes for an Erdos-Renyi
random network with 1.5 million vertices and 5 million edges, although
the graph was undirected in this case (because the "fast greedy"
method does not handle directed graphs anyway).

So, all in all, I don't think you should be having problems with a
graph of this size, unless there is something wrong with the R
interface of igraph (I was trying the Python interface because I'm
more familiar with that one) or unless Rgui is doing something that it
shouldn't be doing. If you can upload your graph somewhere, I can try
and give it a go with R (without the GUI) on a Linux machine.

T.