[igraph] Slow community detection

From: AaaSDFfff
Subject: [igraph] Slow community detection
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 13:34:12 +0100 (CET)

Hi everyone!

I recently started using the R language and the igraph package. I use these tools to create a directed graph with edge weight attribute containing about 1.2 million vertices and 5 million edges. Creating this kind of graph is easy and really fast. But after I start the community detection on this graph the Rgui always freezes out after about 2 or 3 hours and never returns with the results. The command what I use is this:

clust = groups(cluster_label_prop(g, weights=E(g)$weight)) or clust = cluster_label_prop(g, weights=E(g)$weight)

I tried other comm. det. methods such as walktrap, spinglass or mapinfo but there were the same results. The computer I'm using has:

- win7 64bit
- 12 Gbyte RAM
- 3.2.3 R 64bit
- 1.0.1 igraph

When I use the the mentioned command on a directed graph with edge weight attribute containing about 50.000 vertices and 2 million edges the comm. det. returns with the results after few minutes.

My question is: can somebody gime me an advice about what i should do to make the comm. det. runable and faster?
Thx for your answers!

Best regards,
Adam

Ps.: Sorry for my english, unfortunatelly I don't have to use it often and I'm not a native speaker