Re: [igraph] graph from an adjacency matrix

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] graph from an adjacency matrix
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 22:31:06 +0100

> On my Linux desktop when I run 'plot' the script freezes  -after a few
> seconds the CPUs go idle, no output goes to the terminal, no windows open,
> when I ctrl-c out I also get no information on what the script was doing,
> it just terminates.
Plotting support for Linux is a bit flaky -- behind the scenes, igraph writes
the plot to a temporary file and then tries to find a suitable image viewer
from a list of hard-coded choices. It could be the case that none of these are
installed on your machine. See the get_platform_image_viewer() function in
igraph/configuration.py for the current list; it includes eog, gthumb, bqview,
kuickshow, xnview, display, gpicview, gwenview, qiv, gimv and ristretto at the
moment.

To confirm that the plotting itself is working, try redirecting the plot into
a file as follows:

plot(graph, "test.png")

If it crashes or exits, we will need at least a stack trace and the exact
version of Cairo and python-cairo.

> I also tried on my OSX laptop, but here I ran into trouble with installing
> the pycario graphics library interface. I download the source code but
> './configure' fails with the error: configure: error: cannot find
> install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "." "./.." "./../.."
pycairo is built with waf, not with the ./configure script as far as I know.
See the contents of the "INSTALL" file within the py2cairo distribution. The
following should work:

./waf configure
./waf build
./waf install

If it doesn't, you can try the following:

python -c "import sys; print sys.prefix"

then make a note of the path that the script above printed to the console, and
run:

./autogen.sh --prefix=whatever-you-got-from-the-previous-command

This will generate a ./configure script and then you can proceed with the usual
./configure && make && make install dance.