Re: [igraph] graph from an adjacency matrix

From: Jan Zaucha
Subject: Re: [igraph] graph from an adjacency matrix
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:28:29 +0000

Hi Tamas,

I have different datasets- the smallest networks consist of 80 nodes, the largest even 10,000 (yes I have a lot of RAM), but I'm happy to only visualise the small ones. At the moment I've got a numpy matrix, but I can convert it into a list of lists or anything else that is needed.

Also, my matrix is really a distance matrix (each value is an inverse weight between the nodes), but I can easily convert it into a similarity matrix (weighted adjacency matrix). In reality the graph is fully connected, I'm planning to play around with the settings and select a cutoff value for the distance or maximum number of neighbours not to introduce too many edges. And additionally I have a list (or numpy array) with node labels, and another list with binary values which I would like to use to specify the node colour.

Thanks for helping out,
Jan

On 24 February 2015 at 13:24, Tamas Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

> I've just installed igraph-python hoping it will allow me to generate a
> visualisation of my network given the adjacency matrix. In the tutorial
> this is listed as TODO. Does this mean that this functionality had not been
> yet implemented or is it simply not yet explained in the tutorial?
This is not explained yet in the tutorial but it is definitely possible to
create a graph out of an adjacency matrix in Python and then plot it. (And if
you have an adjacency matrix and not an edge list then it probably cannot be
_that_ big anyway ;)). How does your matrix look like? Is it an ordinary Python
list-of-lists, or is it a NumPy matrix, or somethng else?

Jan Zaucha
Bristol Centre for Complexity Sciences
Computational Genomics Group
University of Bristol