Re: [igraph] How to build development version?

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] How to build development version?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:25:39 +0100

> I now need to decide if I should set up the development branch on my
> machine, or hack my python-igraph to allow for cairocffi. Which is likely a
> better move? Possible considerations:
> - How stable is the development branch right now?
Right now it should have no major problems, although we cannot guarantee that
every revision of it still stays stable. I would probably check out an exact
revision of the development branch on your machine instead of checking out the
head of the master branch -- then you can simply fast-forward it once the
"official" release is out.

> - Is there any estimate of when the next version will be released? (with
> cairocffi presumably baked in)
Since this affects the Python interface only, and the Python interface is
already lagging behind the C core a bit (there is no 0.7.1 for the Python
interface yet), it *might* happen that I'll make a "proper" 0.7.1 release for
the Python interface some time next week -- then you can use version 0.7.1 from
the C core with version 0.7.1 of the Python interface and you'll be okay. But
please, nudge me some time early next week by email so I don't forget it ;)

> - Is either move likely to cause me any other problems down the line?
I don't think so, unless you want to distribute your software to third parties,
in which case you'll either have to bundle the "patched" version of igraph with
it or give them instructions about patching igraph.