[igraph] Using Multilevel.Community to do Basic Network Detection?

From: Aaron Weiss
Subject: [igraph] Using Multilevel.Community to do Basic Network Detection?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:32:57 +0000

I’m trying to find the right igraph function (or combination of functions) to identify multiple, disconnected networks within large transactional datasets (where Entity1 is linked to Entity2 via a payment).  I have been playing with multilevel.communities, but I’m not sure this function – or any community detection function – is the right tool.

I do not want to identify clusters or subgroups with networks; I simply want to detect entity membership at the network level, regardless of that network’s structure, clustering, etc.  Ideally, I’d like to be able to specify that networks with fewer than XXX entities/nodes/vertices be excluded, but that is a separate consideration.

Any advice is appreciated.

Best,

Aaron

The information transmitted, including any content in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and is the property of The Western Union Company or its affiliates and subsidiaries. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of the information contained in or transmitted with the communication or dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Western Union sender immediately by replying to this message and delete the original message