[igraph] Do Bipartite Projections edges inherit the original graph weigh

From: Carlos Andrade
Subject: [igraph] Do Bipartite Projections edges inherit the original graph weights?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 22:31:07 +0000

Dear all,

I have a large (30k+ nodes and edges) directed bipartite weighted graph where one mode are people and the other are artifacts (each interaction generates a comment).  I am trying to assess how connected the communities are by means of artifacts. Amount of interaction of artifacts are annotated within the edges of the original graph 'g'.

Once I generate the projections 'g1' (commenters) and 'g2' (artifacts), I would like to observe the generated edges among users being the sum of the weights of the interactions on the original graph, as this is a reflection of how many times those two users commented on the same post on 'g'.

I am using igraph on python, and I noticed the method has the attribute 'multiplicity', however it seemed to me it accounts for summing up the relation of a given user interacting with different artifacts, and ignoring 'g' weights. Did I misunderstand?

The graph on ipython is considered 'directed', I am unsure if being 'directed' or 'indirected' impacts over the transfer of weights as well.

Thank you for your attention,

Carlos A.