[igraph] igraph as a graph database

From: Massimo Franceschet
Subject: [igraph] igraph as a graph database
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:29:10 +0100

Is it possible to use igraph as a graph database, like neo4j for instance?
In particular, I would like to encode in igraph a property graph, which is a
graph in which nodes and edges have their own properties. An example:
http://inserpio.wordpress.com/information-technology/neo4art-van-goghs-journey/
I tried but immediately noticed that attributes in igraph are 'global', that
is, you can set them for all nodes or edges, not for a subset of them, like
nodes or edges of a given type. Since igraph have great analysis capabilities
(which in general graph databases like neo4j do not have), it would be very
useful to encode property graphs in igraph as well, and possibly have a simple
query language for them.