[igraph] Import error in Python

From: Pietro Battiston
Subject: [igraph] Import error in Python
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:32:44 +0100

Hello,

I'm a long time user of networkx, just switching from it in search of
better performance and drawing capabilities.

I must admit that in the choice of another graph library for Python, I
finally chose igraph over graph-tool simply because the Python bindings
were already available in Debian.

Unfortunately however, such bindings (0.6.5-1) do not work:

In [1]: import igraph
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call
last)
<ipython-input-1-8e950eb5d8d8> in <module>()
----> 1 import igraph

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/igraph/__init__.py in <module>()
     32 # pylint: disable-msg=W0401
     33 # W0401: wildcard import
---> 34 from igraph._igraph import *
     35 from igraph._igraph import __version__, __build_date__
     36 from igraph.clustering import *

ImportError: /usr/lib/libf2c.so.2: undefined symbol: MAIN__

I do expect this to be a packaging error: still, any suggestion on how
to fix it would be appreciated.
The issue has already been reported:
... but has not received any attention.
It seems to related to
but I'm really not expert enough to understand if it really is.

I also tried a hack analogous to what suggested here:
http://byeworld.blogspot.it/2009/01/libf2cso-undefined-reference-to-main.html
with the only result of changing the error message to:
  ImportError: /home/pietro/mylib/libf2c.so.2: invalid ELF header

Thanks,

Pietro