[igraph] make check fails on 20 tests (0.6.4 and 0.6.5)

From: Dimitris Diochnos
Subject: [igraph] make check fails on 20 tests (0.6.4 and 0.6.5)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 16:20:20 +0000

Dear Gabor and Tamas,

I am writing this email in order to find the state of the igraph
library at the moment and hence make sure that I am using the version
with the least problems.

In particular I have downloaded versions
- 0.6.4 (from http://sourceforge.net/projects/igraph/files/C%20library/0.6.4/)
- 0.6.5 (available on the download page)
- 0.7.0 (from
http://igraph.org/nightly/get/c/igraph-0.7.0-pre+793.e93ee83.tar.gz
based on our earlier communication here:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2013-12/msg00041.html)

Now, the issues as I am reviving a project from the last 6-12 months.

- Re-making the library in one of the versions 0.6.4/5 does allow me
to rerun successfully programs that I had written in the past and had
dependencies on igraph (I believe it was 0.6.3, or something like that
back then). However, after 'make' if one tries 'make check' in both
0.6.4 and 0.6.5 there are 20 tests where the library fails to pass.

- On the other hand, the 0.7.0 library does pass on the same machine
the 'make check' part (0 failures), but at least one critical program
that I have ends up with runtime execution problems. For the same code
as in 0.6.4/5 I get warnings this time that I am using the
igraph_adjlist_get(&list, node) which now returns igraph_vector_int_t
* and not igraph_vector_t * as it used to return in the past (and in
the documentation online). I thought this was only typecasting but
apparently there has to be a more fundamental change in the code and
the way the adjacency lists are computed and extracted. Moreover, I
also checked the output of the following:
sizeof(      igraph_vector_t *    ) =  8
sizeof(const igraph_vector_t *    ) =  8
sizeof(      igraph_vector_int_t *) =  8
sizeof(const igraph_vector_int_t *) =  8
under 0.6.4/5 and 0.7.0 and in every case I get the answer above, so,
from a first glance this does not seem to be problem of alignment or a
new data type either. Long story sort, do you believe that the
igraph_adjlist_get(...) behaves correctly, or should I try to come up
with a minimal example where the output is not what it is expected? I
am pretty sure the work in 0.7.0 is unfinished though.

Closing, I am also worried that 0.6.5 does not pass through 'make
check' some tests on cliques. I am not focusing on cliques right now,
but I would like to make sure that problems like this one from the
past (https://github.com/igraph/igraph/issues/123) has been resolved,
even though the library fails to pass 2 of the 3 make check tests for
cliques. So, is the most stable library currently online 0.6.5?

Thank you for your time in advance and for maintaining this library!
Keep up the good work guys!

Best regards,
Dimitris