[igraph] Problems reading the number of vertices of a pajek-file using C

From: Charles Novaes de Santana
Subject: [igraph] Problems reading the number of vertices of a pajek-file using C-Igraph in a 64-bits machine
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 04:35:35 +0100

Dear all,

I am starting to use Igraph for C and I am impressed with the
functions you have provided to this library. It really makes our life
easier. I was running it at my personal computer (a 32 bits computer
with Ubuntu installed) and everything works fine.

Now I am working with a machine at my university that is more
powerful, but I couldn't run correctly a simple program to read the
number of vertices of a network from in simple pajek file. The program
compiles correctly, it reads the edges of the network correctly, but
it reads the number of vertices like a strange number, like -10585152.
 This number also changes from one running to another, always in
"strange" numbers like that.

I am running the program "foreign.c" that is in the Igraph manual
(http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/html/ch19s05.html#igraph_read_graph_pajek).
And I am using the pajek-file I am sending in attach (a simple toy
network).

The machine I am using is a 64-bits computer with Ubuntu, I am using
Gcc 4.6.3 and I have installed Igraph 0.6. As I don't have super-user
permission in this machine, I had to compile the Igraph library at my
home, but I am pretty sure I am linking with the igraph shared library
correctly because I got no errors or warnings during the compilation
of my program foreign.c.

I would appreciate if you could help me with this. May it be a problem
with the compilation of the igraph? Or some incompatibility with the
64-bits?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

Charles