Re: [igraph] Comparing large graphs

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Comparing large graphs
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 20:27:08 +0100

> If I remember right, some months ago somebody posted here about
> measures to compare networks. I looked for this post in the historial
> of the list, but I didn't find it, sorry.
This is a thread that seems related, although it is quite old:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2008-04/msg00009.html

However, the conclusion is still the same: there is no built-in network
comparison measure in igraph right now. Besides the options mentioned in that
particular thread, another possibility is to calculate the top few eigenvalues
and eigenvectors of the adjacency matrix of the graph, and then compare these
values and vectors. Others have studied this in much greater detail than me so
I'd recommend to Google for "spectral graph comparison" if you are interested.
This paper could be a good starting point:

http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/bmvc2008/proceedings/2005/papers/162/bmvc2005b.pdf

You can also compare the motif profiles of the graphs:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0015765

Yet another option that comes to my mind is to use some technique that
compresses the graph into a much smaller matrix while preserving the most
important structural features and then compare the matrices:

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0703470