Re: [igraph] "reasonable" size graphs for community detection

From: Minh Nguyen
Subject: Re: [igraph] "reasonable" size graphs for community detection
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:13:11 +1000

Hi Ross,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Ross Gayler <address@hidden> wrote:
> I want to find communities in a graph of ~1M vertices and will be
> running the software on a desktop PC with 16GB RAM and running 64-bit
> linux.  Is it reasonable to expect I could perform that kind of
> analysis on that kind of hardware?  What order of magnitude run-time
> should I expect (seconds, hours, days, weeks)?

The algorithm of (Blondel et al. 2008)

http://arxiv.org/abs/arXiv:0803.0476

is very fast.  Its R interface is

http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/R/multilevel.community.html

and its C interface is

http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/html/ch22s06.html#igraph_community_multilevel

I haven't used the R interface.  But from my experience with its C
interface, I was able to extract communities from the whole DBLP
dataset

http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/

in about one hour. (I can't remember exactly the time, but I'm sure it
was less than 24 hours.)  The DBLP dataset has over 1,058,000 nodes.
Using the R interface would take a little longer I suspect.  Other
algorithms that are implemented in igraph have required over a day to
extract communities from DBLP.  In particular, I don't recommend that
you use the following to handle networks with over one million nodes:

* http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/R/fastgreedy.community.html
* http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/R/label.propagation.community.html
* http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/R/leading.eigenvector.html

> The above case of one big graph is probably the worst case scenario.
> I suspect that the edge density is rather low and that the 1M vertices
> can probably be partitioned into thousands of totally disjoint
> subgraphs (which may consitute a reasonable definition of communities
> - but I want to allow for the possibility that there may be
> communities within large, but loosely connected subgraphs).  Would
> that partitioning have a large impact on the runtime of community
> detection?

I don't know.  It can depend on which algorithm you use to extract
communities.  If you want a quick and dirty answer, use (Blondel et
al. 2008).

--
Regards,
Minh Van Nguyen