Re: [igraph] Layout for bipartite networks

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Layout for bipartite networks
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:41:58 -0400

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Tamás Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I would like to draw some bipartite networks with igraph. Until now
>> the best way I found to do it is to define a layout by myself, in
>> which the x positions are separated according to the groups of my
>> network. I was wondering if is there a better way to draw them (a more
>> beautiful way) like a specific layout. Do you know about this?
>
> As far as I know, there are no layout algorithms in igraph that are
> specifically designed for bipartite networks, sorry.

Although in the 0.6 version it is possibly to restrict the coordinates
of the vertices for some layouts, so what you could do is to separate
the two node types along the horizontal axis, and let things vary
freely along the vertical.

I am not sure if it'll work out well, but maybe it is worth a shot.
See arguments 'minx', and 'maxx' for layout.fruchterman.reingold().

Gabor