Re: [igraph] errors using power.law.fit

From: Martin Tomko
Subject: Re: [igraph] errors using power.law.fit
Date: 16 Nov 2010 11:41:30 +0100

Hi guys,
yes, that is my reading of the paper too. NOw, what is the relation of the BFGS method suggested by Gabor and the method they use? Can I apply it?

I do indeed have discrete data (as anyone working with graph degree distributions would) and I understand that there is no single perfect power law adistribution I could fit to it, but I need an approximation. The alpha parameter and possibly an estimate of the goodness of fit (btw, I am accessing the result of the power law fiting as follows:
fitdegS4<-power.law.fit(degrees,method="BFGS")
alpha<- coef(fitdegS4)[[1]])

is there any simpler method to get the alpha and if possible the parameters? I am still not sure how best to access S4 objects, seems like you need a method, and I only found coef for a mle -class object, but nothing for the goodness of fit parameter which actually gets displayed if I only list fitdegS4....

Thanks
Martin