Re: [igraph] errors using power.law.fit

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] errors using power.law.fit
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:07:03 +0000

Dear Martin,

> Now, it is possible that some of the graphs I have would not fit a power law
> well - is there a recommended way for checking whether it makes sense at all
> to try fitting one?
You can use a Kolmogorov-Smirnov test for that, as outlined here:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1062

There is also a plain C implementation of their method which will eventually be
integrated with igraph (once I find time for it). Currently it is a separate
project, but it works from the command line, so you can simply call out from R
to this implementation if you want to do batch processing:

https://github.com/ntamas/plfit

(Instructions: download, cmake, make, make install).