[igraph] the old "cannot reserve space for vector" problem

From: Alisa Coffin
Subject: [igraph] the old "cannot reserve space for vector" problem
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 18:09:30 -0600

Hi.

I'm having the "cannot reserve space for vector...." problem on the following operation and graph. From reading through the igraph archives, this appears to be a RAM issue. If I try to switch to a 64-bit machine, will this problem be solved? This is the smallest of 4 graphs that I plan to analyze thus. The largest graph has around 98 000 nodes and 135 000 edges. Can anyone give me an idea of a ball park amount of RAM needed accomplish this operation?

Otherwise, if I am wrong and there is another workaround, please let me know.

Thanks!

> memory.limit(size = NA)
[1] 1535
> Dg1937 <- shortest.paths(g1937_1un,v=V(g1937_1un))
Error in shortest.paths(g1937_1un, v = V(g1937_1un)) :
  At vector.pmt:409 : cannot reserve space for vector, Out of memory
> summary(g1937_1un)
Vertices: 18209
Edges: 27945
Directed: FALSE