Re: [igraph] betweenness centrality -- negative and floating values?

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] betweenness centrality -- negative and floating values?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 12:33:53 +0100

Ok, I can understand the floating values for the BC then because of
this weight of 1/k. It also means that the more shortest paths between
A and B, the less weight will be counted.

However from the original definition for BC,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrality, this sounds to be different
for me.
No, it isn't. The formula on that Wikipedia page has the number of shortest paths between s and t in the denumerator, so if there is more than a single shortest path between s and t, the vertices participating in those paths will receive a contribution of 1/k due to this path, where k is \sigma_{s,t} - the number of shortest paths between s and t.

I'm quite confused by this now. The values should be
normalized to the interval [0 1]?
It can be normalized if you wish, but igraph doesn't do that by default. As it says on the Wikipedia page you mentioned, "This may be normalised by dividing through the number of pairs of vertices not including v, which is (n − 1)(n − 2) / 2.". So if you want to get values between 0 and 1, divide the betweenness centrality values by (n-1)(n-2)/2.