Re: [igraph] igraph C version

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] igraph C version
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:50:58 +0100

Hi,

> I am new to igraph and have some questions to start using it please. [...] The reason > I am trying to switch to igraph is I can use the visualization kit available in igraph

First of all, the C core of igraph does not support any visualisation; the one that you see in R or in Python are built upon the C core using R or Python. GraphML is simply an XML-based graph format; it has nothing to do with visualisation, but there are several visualisation tools (i.e., Cytoscape) that can load GraphML files and plot them nicely. Another way to go is to dump to GraphViz format (which is also supported by igraph, at least on the exporting side) and use GraphViz to plot the graphs.

For dynamic visualisations, I'd suggest you to try Ubigraph (http://ubietylab.net/ubigraph/ ). It is effectively a dynamic 3D graph visualiser that you can control from your programming language of choice (let it be C++, Python, Ruby, whatever) by sending XML-RPC calls to a designated port number on your local computer. There are plenty of XML-RPC libraries out there, so I'd try coding up something in igraph and Ubigraph using an XML-RPC library in whatever language is the most convenient for you.