Re: [igraph] problem with libigraph.so.0

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [igraph] problem with libigraph.so.0
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 00:32:28 -0500

Hello, Enzo:

I'm fairly new at igraph, but I'm an old hand at installing software
that follows the GNU framework.  In your message,  this:

gcc test.c -I /home/enzo/igraph-0.5.2/include/ -L/usr/local/lib
-ligraph -o igraph_test

indicates you have not properly installed igraph.  If you have the
include files in your home dir under igraph-0.5.2/include then the
library files would ordinarily be in your home under igraph-0.5.2/lib.
 You would need to take some special steps to make sure the system can
find runtime libraries in there.

I doubt that is actually the way you installed it. To have that,  you
would have had to run

./configure --prefix=/home/enzo/igraph-0.5.2

and then

make

make install

Somehow I doubt you did that. On the other hand,  if you installed the
program into /usr/local, then your include files will be installed
under /usr/local/include.

Furthermore, after you install the program, you usually need to run
"/sbin/ldconfig" to cause the system to re-scan the dynamic libraries.
This pre-suppses  you have the ld loader set to include files in
/usr/local/lib. (check /etc/ld.so.conf or some similar name).

I installed igraph on my Ubuntu Linux system from a package that is on
the repository, I'd be surprised if you could not find a package for
your system too, but you don't mention what kind of Unix/Linux you
have. I installed "libigraph" and "libigraph-dev".  The installed
files have this layout. After "make install", you should have the same
setup, except yours will be under /usr/local if you installed it that
way.

/usr/lib/libigraph.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libigraph.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libigraph.so
/usr
/usr/include
/usr/include/igraph
/usr/include/igraph/igraph.h
/usr/include/igraph/types.h
/usr/include/igraph/arpack.h
/usr/include/igraph/array.h
/usr/include/igraph/attributes.h
/usr/include/igraph/dqueue.h
/usr/include/igraph/error.h
/usr/include/igraph/heap.h
/usr/include/igraph/interrupt.h
/usr/include/igraph/igraph_pmt.h
/usr/include/igraph/igraph_pmt_off.h
/usr/include/igraph/matrix.h
/usr/include/igraph/stack.h
/usr/include/igraph/vector.h
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libigraph.a
/usr/lib/libigraph.la
/usr/lib/pkgconfig
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/igraph.pc

Please remember to read the INSTALL file distributed with the source
code and the first step in the install should be to run

./configure --help

to see the option information.

HTH
pj