Re: [igraph] The Watts-Strogatz small-world model implementation

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] The Watts-Strogatz small-world model implementation
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:36:45 +0200

Hi Anindya,

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Anindya Ghosh <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Gabor,
>   I have a question regarding the function watts.strogatz.game(dim, size,
> nei, p).
>  How does the parameter nei relate to k in the 1998 Nature article that is
> implemented here.

This clearly shows what 'nei' is:

layout( rbind(1:2,3:4) )
sapply(1:4, function(nei) plot(watts.strogatz.game(1,10,nei,0),
layout=layout.circle, main=nei))

> Is it k= nei*2?

Based on Wikipedia it is. I don't have access to Nature right now.

> I ask because k is usually the mean degree
> of the network generated and that I find to be 2*nei in the networks
> generated by this function. If that is correct why did you implement it in
> that way?

I don't know, it was years ago. There is no serious reason I guess.
But why is this an important issue?

Gabor