Re: [igraph] Shortest paths on very large graphs

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Shortest paths on very large graphs
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:11:05 -0500

Vassilis,

you can calculate the memory requirement like this:
|V|^2 * 8 / 1024 / 1024 * 2
this roughly gives the requires memory in megabytes, the final *2
is needed because the result matrix is copied once.

If you don't have that much memory then call shortest.paths()
for a single vertex (or a small number of vertices, like 10)
at a time and store/use the results before
calling it for the next vertex. You can run this a couple
of times to make an estimate for how much it would take for the
whole graph.

get.shortest.paths() is slower than shortest.paths() because
it also keeps track of the paths themselves. It also requires *much*
more memory for the same number of source vertices.

Buying more memory is not an option? Memory is cheap and
the computation is fine if you have 16Gb, maybe even for 8Gb.

Gabor