Re: [igraph] dissimilarity-based community detection

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] dissimilarity-based community detection
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:08:17 +0100

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 08:47:46PM +0000, Kurt J wrote:
> Thanks Tamas for your quick response.  Two things, however...
>
> 1 - I am using python and just easy_installed igraph-0.4.5.
> igraph.Graph.community_walktrap() does not seem to be present - do i need the
> development version??

The most recent version is 0.5 and it is called
'python-igraph', see http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-igraph
or the igraph homepage at igraph.sf.net
The python package requires an installation of the igraph
C library.

> 2 - I think I mis-represented my intent by poorly framing my question in the
> previous email.  I already have a "dissimilarity" matrix - which is based on
> audio data (independent of network structure) rather than a random walk or
> brownian particle as in Zhou '03.  I am really only interested in the
> "back-half" of the algorithm, using the dissimilarity matrix and a threshold
> value to detect communities...

Yes, community.walktrap is doing exactly this. It starts with a
(dis)similarity matrix, i.e. a weighted graph, and gives you
the communities. Just like most community structure finding
algorithms.

Gabor