Re: [igraph] Community finding in graphs

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Community finding in graphs
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:16:49 +0100

Hi,

I remember that once I implemented this using only a few lines of code in Python. Basically I sought for all the cliques of size k in the graph using Graph.cliques, then I created a clique overlap matrix where the rows and the columns of the matrix represented individual cliques and the element of the matrix was 1 if the two cliques differed only in a single vertex (e.g. the intersection of the two cliques was of size k-1), then I created a graph from the clique overlap matrix as an adjacency matrix and finally I calculated the connected components of the clique overlap graph. The communities consist of the vertices involved in the cliques represented by the vertices of the connected components of the overlap graph. (AFAIK this is exactly the same approach that the authors' implementation uses in their CFinder program (see http:// www.cfinder.org), but of course it could be done more efficiently).