ifile-discuss

[Ifile-discuss] Re: protect .idata from corruption

From: clemens fischer
Subject: [Ifile-discuss] Re: protect .idata from corruption
Date: 26 Mar 2003 14:47:33 +0100

Ole Jacob Taraldset <address@hidden>:

> I just experienced that all the data in my .idata was deleted. The
> hd was 100% filled last night and that is probably the reason why it
> happened. Is there anything that can be done to prevent this from
> happening again (except for maing sure that the hd is filled up)?

make a backup.  twice a week for non-sensitive data might be enough.
to give an example:  tar'ing up all data in /etc/* and local/etc/* as
well as my home-dir and certain other vital files makes a compressed,
encrypted archive of 33MB, which can be stored abroad.  use good
encryption, though, like PGP or the like, not crypt(1).

  clemens