hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] Need more usage examples (Was: Subscription within

From: Jean Louis
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 10:14:51 +0200

* Robert Weiner <address@hidden> [2019-08-06 06:21]:
> > Hyperbole is missing more examples.
> >
> > One good example is MANIFEST file
>

> You mean the examples provided in the DEMO and the MANIFEST file itself are
> good, correct?

Yes, they are good. Even though one cannot see any hyperlinking.

It would be better if links would be underlined, as hyperlinks are
traditionally underlined.

I have been examining the package buttons.el as built-in package, it
provides button underlining and linking. Hyperbola uses file on the
side to define buttons.

It appears to me, who is not as acquainted with Emacs Lisp as you,
that it would not be hard to provide underlining feature, especially
for buttons like <(button)> -- they do become colorful though, it is
similar feature.

Additional issue is that duplicated Hyperboly buttons/links are not
recognized until the file is saved. I hope you know that.

> Have you run through the DEMO file.  There are extensive examples of
> implicit button type usage in there.

Yes, I did. Those are technical examples. They try to demonstrate
everything possible, not necessarily practical applications. For a
layman that file could be bunch of a confusion. In fact it took me
years to understand Hyperbole functions. I have been installing it and
deinstalling it several times, until I got it.

> You may be more interested in creating your own implicit button
> types though and for that there is only the code right now.  We have
> not written a Hyperbole programming manual.  But the examples
> provided by the code in hibtypes.el and hactypes.el are quite good.

They are good, but for advance users. As I have demonstrated, Org
links have their settings, and I think Hyperbole could use the ready
code from Org links to make it available in every other mode. Isn't
it?

> In the forthcoming release, all of Org mode's link types are also supported
> by the Hyperbole Action Key, so you'll be able to activate them as well in
> Org major or minor modes.  We could make them work in other modes but
> haven't thought much about that yet.

Would not be trivial to make similar feature like customization of Org
links, where user just supplies few parameters and new links are
created.

> I have built indexed document repositories that can be referenced easily
> within email or other text.  See hib-doc-id.el.

To unload, load Hyperbole is not easy. I tried loading it, but I get into
some loop. I will need to restart Emacs.

setq: Symbol’s chain of function indirections contains a loop:
ebut:key-to-labelInvalid face reference: mail-double-quoted-text-face
Invalid face reference: mail-double-quoted-text-face [60 times]
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer, C-M-v to scroll help.