hurd-devel

Re: pty behaviour

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: pty behaviour
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:35:13 +0100

At 04 Mar 2004 11:20:32 -0800,
Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > So, if you say the behaviour is correct, and I am certainly following
> > your line of argumentation, then increasing the high watermark to
> > something like 4k or even 8k should be fine do avoid any problems
> > people wouldn't also have under GNU/Linux.
>
> Sure, sounds fine by me.  As long as it's got a sane limit, the limit
> can be high.  It's not like we are actually reserving all that much
> memory--nor is it like 8k is very much memory anyhow.

Splendid.  So, if we increase the high watermark, can we increase it
to a power of 2, to make best use of allocated memory (which is
doubled at each reallocation)?  Or is it possible that some other code
in term enqueues character even if the queue is suspended (for
whatever reason)?

The second question would be, if we increase the high watermark, it
seems to make sense to also increase the low watermark, to improve
flow control.  Any advice for this?

Thanks,
Marcus