hurd-devel

Re: code for 64-bit flag day

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: code for 64-bit flag day
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:23:33 -0700

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 04:22:14PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned this stuff is ready to go in.  I'm posting
> it here to get some more eyeballs on it.  As soon as Marcus and/or
> Jeff are up to it, I'd like to announce the sources are broken for a
> while, commit these and the libc changes and get them all tested.  I
> think a sufficient baseline test would be just to boot a newly-built
> hurd and run some old binaries and see that nothing has changed
> visibly at user level.  Then you can try using old binaries of dd,
> e2fsck, mke2fs to access a large partition (e.g. run e2fsck -n on
> one of your Linux filesystems > 2GB, ideally > 4GB).

I'm just testing my cross-compiler with a current glibc (I've set my
system to gcc-3.1 only in GNU/Linux and am testing the make-cross
cheap cross-compiler).  If this works tonight, then I'll run a backup
of some data tommorow night.  So I can do this, this week - Maybe as
soon as Tuesday if I updated the specs file right. =)

It would be useful if you could provide the glibc patch separately
too.  The Debian glibc maintainer doesn't like to gratuitously update
to recent CVS, so that will save me to trouble of breaking out your
patch myself.

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.