hurd-devel

Re: time for libio?

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: time for libio?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:57:14 -0500 (EST)

> What I'm saying is that this is like any other soname-bumping library
> upgrade on Debian--it doesn't require a flag day, as long as both the
> old and new libraries can happily co-exist on the same system.  And,
> they can, right?

They can be made to, yes (what part of "doable" did you not understand?).
It's easier if they don't have to.  The biggest part of it being easier is
not having to worry about whether you got it right in all the details.
Getting it right is straightforward enough in each detail; but you need to
be sure you're considering all of them carefully when you should be, which
is incompatible with maximal laziness.

The word from Marcus was that all this "life will be fine when you bump a
soname" from Debian was a load of crap in practice, i.e. requiring explicit
manual cooperation from every Debian package maintainer or something like
that.  If that's really where it's at, then there is no point at doing
things really right on a finer granularity anyway.