hurd-devel

Re: Getting the control port from a translator

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: Getting the control port from a translator
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:03:15 -0400 (EDT)

> I forgot to include reference to this message:
> http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-hurd/2001-April/004134.html, where I
> suggest that there is no difference between fshelp_isowner and
> fshelp_iscontroller.  Comments?

Please summarize your rationale anew.  The prior discussion thread does not
make it wholly clear to me.  Are you talking about fshelp_isowner given a
stat describing the underlying node?

I am inclined to have two different interfaces for the "isowner" and
"isroot" kinds of checks, even if one can be implemented in terms of the
other strictly speaking.  That is less confusing in understanding how to
use the interface, and makes it easier to change the plan later
(e.g. rewriting what isroot checks without changing isowner).