http-emacs-dev

[Http-emacs-dev] Re: Problems with http-emacs CVS sources line endings

From: D. Goel
Subject: [Http-emacs-dev] Re: Problems with http-emacs CVS sources line endings
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:58:43 -0400

Adrian Aichner <address@hidden> writes:

> Deepak, Pierre, I would be interested to know why you stopped working
> on http-emacs.

Adrian

I certainly still think http-emacs is very useful, and know of no
alternatives that work for me.  Laziness on my part is the only excuse
I am not working on it.  Plus I don't understand http encoding stuff.

Alex Schroeder coded this up to begin with.

I never worked much or understood the code much in the first place,
but I loved using it.  I only added some superficial stuff like "mark
change as minor", and the pcomplete wrapper.

Then, Pierre, who, like Alex, really groks the http encoding stuff,
came to the scene and added lots of awesome functionality.  I don't
grok the http issues.  Pierre also started this mailing list, and even
made a "tar.gz", IIRC..  At some point, Pierre became less active.
Http-emacs was unfortunately less then perfect and was leaving funky
codes onto the edited pages.  I was too illiterate to fix it.  Was/am
also too occupied otherwise.

Would love to still use (and perhaps even help with) http-emacs if it
works again --- which i understand it does now, thanks to David.
Http-emacs was much more convenient than editing things in mozilla's
plain-text editor.

Some alternatives, which either don't work or i never tried:

* Mozilla does promise some plugins like electrix (sp.?)  which allows
 editing text fields in editor of choice, but i could never got that
 to work.

* There's another plugin for mozilla, similar to electrix. (don't
  remember the name).  I couldn't get it to work either.

> OK, I am volunteering then to convert the CVS repository to LF line
> endings, after creating a tar.gz of the current sources.

thanks!

> ssh access and write access to the http-emacs repository would be
> required for address@hidden for me to be able to do that.

cool, I see that you already have cvs access (thanks Pierre!) :)