http-emacs-dev

[Http-emacs-dev] Re: Problems with http-emacs CVS sources line endings

From: David Hansen
Subject: [Http-emacs-dev] Re: Problems with http-emacs CVS sources line endings
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:29:53 +0200

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:35:12 +0200 Adrian Aichner wrote:

> David Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:59:56 +0200 Adrian Aichner wrote:
>>
>>> http-emacs sources seem to be checked in with CRLF line endings.
>>>
>>> Is this intentional?
>>
>> I'm not sure.  I can only guess that it might have
>> something to do with the "\r\n" in http headers  but i
>> don't think its needed anymore.
>
> Hi David, I don't think that's the reason.
>
> Looks like however set up the repository imported most files with CRLF
> line endings.
>
> Hi deego, pgas, do you agree that http-emacs CVS repository should not
> contains sources with CRLF line endings?

It's possible that we are the only one reading this :)

> I'd suggest finxing the ,v files in the repository directly.

How to do it?

>>> Also
>>> cvs -f -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/http-emacs get -p
>>> http-emacs/CONTRIBUTORS
>>> does not produce CRLF line endings.
>>>
>>> Please advise,
>>
>> What exactly is the problem?  Emacs can handle DOS files
>> and diff doesn't care at all about it.
>
> Oh, yes, diff cares about every byte and it better!

OK, you have these ugly ^M in a diff...

> David, how do you create your patches?

Just

  diff -x CVS -ruN http-emacs/ http-emacs-new/

As the last commit was about 10 months ago i had no fear
that someone changed anything in the repository while i was
hacking :)

> What switches to
> cvs diff
> are you using when you generate your patches?
>
> Try
> cvs diff file-name
> on any file with a small local change.
>
> Does that work as expected for you?

It does contain the ^M.

> Please advise,

I think these mails prove that the DOS encoding is a
problem or at least confusing.  I don't see any reason not
to fix it.

What's the easiest way to do it?

-- David