help-texinfo

Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'

From: pertusus
Subject: Re: HTML <title> node names: Not emitting 'Top (Manual name)'
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 17:18:28 +0100

On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 05:48:39PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > > Is it important?
> >
> > I think so, it is purposely done that way, I believe, and matches with
> > the '(maintain)Copyright Notices' node information:
>
> The copyright is stated elsewhere anyway, so this is not relevant.

I do not think that the copyright visible in the brower and in comments
at the beginning of the HTML file serve the same purpose.  The copyright
stated in the visible HTML is for people looking at the rendered HTML on
a browser, the copyright in comments is for the people looking at the
HTML source, so I think that both are relevant.

That being said, being able to remove the copyright in comments could be
a good test for the API.

> > > Look at how the produced HTML looks vs the one on the site: those
> > > links are the "Short TOC", which is completely redundant for reading
> > > the manual on-line.
> >
> > I do not understand that response.  Those links are usually not directly
> > visible, they are not links appearing directly in the document text,
> > they are informations on the page that can be used or not by the
> > browsers:
>
> Then maybe I don't understand what we are talking about.

The <link> element appearing in HTML <head> are there to specify
relationships between the document and external resources.  The code in
admin.el removes the <link> elements added by texi2any to associate a
page to the top, the next/prev and index as external resources.  It is
not the same as hyperlinks appearing in the document.  My understanding
of this is that it is better to have them, but it is not very important
either, as this kind of information is in general ignored.

> > > Sorry, I don't know.
> >
> > Can it be omitted?
>
> I don't want to make changes whose meaning I don't understand.  I
> trust people who came before me and wrote this code that they were
> solving real problems.  As long as the results are not obviously
> incorrect, I'd rather not change this.

Ok.  Those <div> should be harmless in general, unless there is another
id legitimately also called "content", but my feeling is that there is
something wrong going on if they are actually used.  It should be easy
to use customization variables for the mono case for that, it may be
more complicated for the split by node case as the closing </div>
appears at a strange place (maybe because of changes in the generated
HTML, but I can't know), but I think that it can be done.

--
Pat