help-texinfo

Re: Cross-reference for a non-English book

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cross-reference for a non-English book
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 08:38:34 +0200

> From: Daniel Cerqueira <dan.list@brilhante.top>
> Cc: Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr>,  Daniel Cerqueira
>  <dan.list@brilhante.top>,  help-texinfo@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:00:24 +0000
>
> I hate when programs try to be smart, like Emacs was trying to be.
> Because, then I need to bother people with specialized knowleadge, when
> this thing should be solved by me picking up the source code and doing
> some modification. Emacs is doing wrong in this regard, because Emacs
> should not change the info file output.

Emacs doesn't yet support well enough Info manuals written in other
languages (nor translations of documentation in general), so the above
just means your work (which is of course welcome) will need changes in
the popular Info readers before it can be considered complete.
Specifically, the replacement "see" will need to become dependent on
the manual's language instead of being a hard-coded fixed string.  The
Info format is not plain text, so expecting to see in an Info reader
exactly what you see in the Info file is not reasonable.