help-texinfo

Re: Marking lisp expressions

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Marking lisp expressions
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:22:22 +0900

> On Jan 28, 2020, at 9:02, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>    To create the dvi/ps/pdf output it requires a TeX installation,
>    which is an order of magnitude bigger than Emacs.
>
> A TeX installation which is just plain TeX, enough to process Texinfo
> files (not LaTeX), is somewhat smaller than current Emacs.
> (scheme-minimal in native TeX Live.) -k

Thank you for the information.

I was replying to Gavin's "makeinfo is not part of Emacs" as a reason to not
use Emacs facilities. makeinfo is neither part of TeX and still uses it as a
dependency.

Also, as writen in the manual, makeinfo does not install the TeX subsystem and
there is no indication regarding what the minimum requirement is, just a link
to "texlive". Emacs is mentionned all over the manual and since info manuals
are only a requirement for the Gnu system it is unlikely that texinfo
writers/makeinfo users don't have a copy of emacs on their machines.

Just like "Formating and Printing Hardcopy" indicates the TeX requirement,
"Generating HTML" could have a "syntax highlighting" subsection that indicates
the emacs requirement.

I understand that the solution I proposed is seemingly not "elegant": hand
marking the elements of code samples (although marking can be automated with
regex, and marking by itself is a comon enough task when authoring HTML and the
like), relying on emacs > htmlfontify, but it hardly can be considered a hack
since the tools exist, are stable and their use is documented in the emacs
manual.

But maybe Gavin was thinking about having syntax highlighting for all the
output formats that support color output ?

Jean-Christophe Helary