help-texinfo

Re: Marking lisp expressions

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Marking lisp expressions
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 03:02:27 +0900

> On Jan 27, 2020, at 2:03, Gavin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Then, I don't think we should have any qualms about adding semantic tags to
>> the code. TeX has plenty of things for math formulas, why not simply add
>> things in texinfo for the few core languages of the GNU project ?
>
> It makes the code samples in the Texinfo source unreadable and therefore
> prone to error.

Math expressions in TeX are unreadable and still writers get them right for
things that are orders of magnitude more complex that the few lines of code
that one can find in the various gnu reference documents. Because they check
the output.

> If there is syntax highlighting it should be able to be done automatically.

How do you think that could be accomplished ?
By calling/coding a Lisp parser ?

I used a few regex this afternoon to mark Graham's translation of McCarthy's
eval. I did it is 4 steps but there were still a few items that I had to hand
mark. I have no doubts that you are way smarter than I am in that regard so I
guess that's not that hard to implement. But I would have no idea how to start
helping there.

Jean-Christophe Helary