help-texinfo

Re: internationalization and txi-ll.tex files

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: internationalization and txi-ll.tex files
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 13:10:42 +0000

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 9:08 AM Jean-Christophe Helary
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I've added @documentlanguage fr_FR at the beginning of my file but footnotes
> were still grouped under a "Footnotes" header in the html output.

I don't know why this is. I got the correct translation  "Notes de bas
de page" with a simple test file I tried.

> The manual mentions txi-ll.tex files, so I looked for the French one and
> could not find the string for the footnotes header, but it happens that the
> txi file for English does not include it either...

The txi-LL.tex files are not used for outputting to HTML, only when
outputting to dvi or PDF. The manual could be clearer in this regard.
The translation is done through gettext. The translation file should
be found somewhere like
/usr/local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo_document.mo (depending
on where Texinfo is installed).

> Then it occured to me that I was checking my git checkout of the program and
> not what was actually on my machine, which is the brew package for macos. I
> checked there and there were no txi files whatsoever.

In that case, strings won't be translated properly when outputting to TeX.
> So, I have 3 questions:
>
> 1) is there a longer list of English terms that should be in txi-en.tex but
> for some reason are not?

No.

> 2) HTML.pm has a  _translate_names subroutine that seems to care about the
> value of documentlanguage and that also seems to call a "Footnotes" string
> but I'm not seeing from where it calls it and obvisouly it's not calling much
> since the output is wrong.
>    → if that's the case, I don't have a good enough level to fix that, but if
> it is just a matter of providing the appropriate strings, I can do that.

There is already a French translation, it just needs to be installed properly.

> 3) in a standard texinfo distribution, where are the txi files supposed to
> be? If there is a problem with the brew package that's something that should
> be fixed.

It depends on the TeX distribution. I have TeX Live 2017 installed on
Debian and the files are under /usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/.