help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] very slow unstow

From: Guillaume Morin
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] very slow unstow
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:28:04 +0100

Hi Harald,

Dans un message du 21 jan à  8:55, Harald Kirsch écrivait :

> Unstowing in a large directory hierarchy is painfully slow. Two ideas
> to circumvent this come to mind:
>
> 1) It seems like stow searches the whole "target directory" structure
> to find things to unstow. A quick-mode could instead use the stowed
> version for hints on what to delete.

Yes, that could be cool. I plan to implement something like this. But I
kinda lack of time.

> 2) For installation of new versions of a software-package a force-mode
> would always overwrite links in the target-directory which point into
> the stow directory. Even saver would be a replace-mode, where you give
> an old and a new software package and allow to overwrite links to the
> old package only.

We now have a force mode that more or less do what you want. But for
that purpose, the replace mode idea would be better indeed.

> Finally: really cool would be an option to upgrade a package by just
> giving the basename, e.g.
>
>    stow --upgrade thing
>
> would glob for thing*, which normally should yield a list like
>
>   thing-2.1 thing-2.2 thing-2.2a
>
> Then, the currently installed version is guessed, the most recent
> version is guessed and a replace is performed as described in (2)
> above.

I am not convinced by this one. But if you send a patch, I would
integrate it :-).

Thanks for your remark,

--
Guillaume Morin <address@hidden>