help-recutils

Re: [help-recutils] 1 recfile multiple users

From: František Kučera
Subject: Re: [help-recutils] 1 recfile multiple users
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 17:00:29 +0200

Dne 09. 09. 19 v 16:22 Héctor Abreu napsal(a):
I can allow ordinary users to request info from the database, but those requests/updates to the DB
will be handled by an artificial/automated user "db_admin" who will deal directly with
the recfile, while ordinary users will deal only with the results of the recsel performed by
"db_admin".

This would shift the Recutils to the level of DBMS (which means more features but also increased complexity). I like Recfiles because they are simple text files and working with them does not require any daemon running in the background. (I use also Sqlite and Relational pipes this way).

If you want this architecture, it would require some client-server protocol (running over unix domain socket, TCP or e.g. D-Bus). It is possible to create a daemon which manages Recfiles and emulates interface of some DBMS (PostgeSQL, MariaDB), so the clients can use already existing libraries and tools. Or you can write just the Recfile backend module for some existing DBMS. Or you can design your own protocol and language not based on SQL and allowing only the recsel expressions.

However all of these approaches seems to be quite complex – compared to simple file locking.

Franta