help-recutils

[help-recutils] 1 recfile multiple users

From: Héctor Abreu
Subject: [help-recutils] 1 recfile multiple users
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 10:22:01 -0400

Hi there,

I have a question for J. Marchesi or anyone who can help me. I'm trying to get
some orientation to run some tests with recutils and multiple users interacting
with the same recfile, and all users accessing an SSH Linux server; then if I
succeed I can probably contribute with a patch to support transactions or
similar features.

I had a conversation with J. Marchesi in recutils IRC Channel about this topic,
here is an excerpt:

11:55 <@jemarch> you can handle write access with unix groups
11:56 <@jemarch> but you will have to use file locking...
11:56 <@jemarch> to sequence multiple accesses
[...]
12:04 <@jemarch> still, adding proper file locking support in recutl.c would be
the best way

My question is: should I rather find a different approach in which ordinary
users interact *indirectly* with the "shared" recfile, not touching/viewing
that file directly? For example, I can allow ordinary users to request info
from the database, but those requests/updates to the DB will be handled by an
artificial/automated user "db_admin" who will deal directly with the recfile,
while ordinary users will deal only with the results of the recsel performed by
"db_admin". I guess that will imply handling some temporary files. Short story:
to me, it makes sense that different users make use of a single recfile, but it
doesn't make sense that different users are allowed to view the entire content
of a database nor being able to modify the whole thing at any moment.

Sorry if it sounds confusing, thank you in advance for any hint or orientation.

Regards,
--
Héctor A. Abreu