Re: Seg Fault

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Seg Fault
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 21:11:25 -0400

On 5/15/21 7:04 PM, sshah wrote:
> On homebrew (3.1.7) installed octave 6.2.x, I need to recompile packages
> after every minor (6.2.0_2 to 6.2.0_3) update. I am running both Rosetta2
> and arm64 versions of octave on my M1 machine under Big Sur 11.3.1.   Once
> recompiled, the respective versions run fine.
>
> Is this behavior expected?

Maybe: Compiled Octave packages have linkage that depends on the exact
path to the Octave installation they were compiled against. Homebrewed
packages like Octave are available at two paths:
 * /usr/local/Cellar/<package>/<exactversion>
 * /usr/local/opt/<package>

So that would be:
 * /usr/local/Cellar/octave/6.2.0_2
 * /usr/local/opt/octave

If the compilation happened against /usr/local/Cellar/octave/6.2.0_2,
then yes, it would require a recompile of all packages on any version
update, including minor or build revisions.

I'm not sure how the path discovery for mkoctfile under Homebrewed
Octave is working these days.

Can you give us an example of a package you needed to recompile? I can
install it under my brewed Octave and try to reproduce.

Also, you can use the otool command to dump out the linkages for your
compiled oct-files and see what paths are baked in there. If the
/usr/local/Cellar/octave/<version> path is in there, that means they're
compiled in a way that will require a recompile on any version change.

Cheers,
Andrew