Re: Octave Installer for Windows with Debug Option

From: Markus Mützel
Subject: Re: Octave Installer for Windows with Debug Option
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:05:40 +0200

Forgot to CC the mailing list. So here the same message again. Sorry for that:

Am 06. Juni 2020 um 22:39 Uhr schrieb "Stefan Pofahl"
> Hi Markus,
>
> thanks a lot for your response!. As you can read in my post:
> https://gitlab.com/mtmiller/octave-pythonic/-/issues/81
>
> I have managed to run "gdb".

That is a first step.

> The issue is, gdb tells me, octave-gui is not built with the debug option.

Those messages don't say that you won't be able to get any information at all.
It just means that e.g. backtraces won't cite the source code and line for
functions in Octave core. They should still contain the function names (even if
they might be mangled).

Have you been able to reproduce the crash that you want to inspect while gdb
was attached to Octave?
What did the backtrace look like?

> Therefore, I agree, it might be enough to have a DGB-version of
> octave-gui.exe.
>
> Could you help me with that?

I don't know what you mean by that. But I have a feeling that you are jumping
ahead again.
Have you read the Wikipedia article? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem
- also available in other languages.)
We don't know yet if the crash occurs in core Octave or in some .oct file or in
a third party library. So at the moment, there is no way to tell if it would
make sense for you to recompile Octave without stripping symbols...

HTH,
Markus